Placemaking Grant Applications Accepted
The Akron Cleveland Association of REALTORS is accepting Placemaking Grant applications from municipalities in Cuyahoga County or Summit County.
What is a Placemaking Grant?
The Placemaking Grant is available to state and local REALTOR® Associations to help fund Lighter, Quicker, Cheaper placemaking projects in their communities. These projects can be built in under 1 year and cost less than $200,000.
Lighter Quicker Cheaper projects help to:
- Create community gathering places
- Attract residents and visitors
- Bring life to downtowns
- Support walkable communities
- Preserve open and green spaces
- The Placemaking Grant is available for up to $3,000, depending on engagement of REALTOR® Association, and its members, impact on community and meeting of all project criteria listed below. The grant can now only be used to fund the creation and building of new public spaces. REALTOR® involvement is highly encouraged. The grant should be used to fund projects that will have a bigger impact on a community by building gathering spots; creating destinations; bringing life to downtowns; and preserving open spaces. The grant will not fund adding amenities to an existing space.
The Placemaking Grant can only be used to fund projects that meet the following criteria:
New Public Space Created
Types of projects funded are parks, pocket parks, plazas, parklets, alley activations, trails, dog parks, play/fitness areas, community gardens. See the types of activities the grant does not fund.
Association and Member Engagement
Placemaking projects offer an opportunity for REALTOR® Associations and REALTORS® to engage in goodwill efforts in a community. An association, and its members, MUST be involved in the planning, designing, funding and/or building of the project. Maximum grant amount is awarded to reflect projects that are association-led or projects where the REALTOR® Association is a main partner.
Mulit-Functional & Community-Orientated
Make sure your project meets the following criteria:
- Benefits everyone in the community and includes amenities that everyone can enjoy
- Compliant with city permitting and zoning
- Accessible to the whole community and all residents
- Accessible all or most of the time
- Provides at least 10 things to do or 10 reasons to be there
All projects must be completed within one year of the grant application approval for grant funds to be disbursed. Within 2 weeks of project completion, the following should be completed:
- Submit proof of how funds were spent;
- Include to whom the reimbursement check should made payable to;
- Celebrate your success. We encourage you to consider having a “ribbon cutting” ceremony or similar event and inviting members, the community, stakeholders and media.
- Grant applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year through September 30th. Projects must be completed within 1 year of grant approval. Only 2 grants are awarded to ACAR projects annually.
Any questions? Contact ACAR’s Vice President of Government Affairs, Jamie McMillen, by email or directly at 216.525.4834.Submit a Grant Application