April is Fair Housing Month
As outspoken supporters for fair housing issues and homeownership, the Akron Cleveland Association of REALTORS (ACAR) is joining with the nation as it honors Fair Housing Month this April. For more than 100 years, Realtors® have promoted and protected the dream of property ownership for millions of Americans and strongly support the Fair Housing Act.
This year is the 46th anniversary of the 1968 landmark Fair Housing Act, which prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or disability.
As leading advocates for homeownership, Realtors® strive to promote inclusion, diversity and fairness in today’s housing industry. Realtors® work hard to build communities and an environment where everyone, regardless of race, color, religion, sex or disability can choose where they want to live. It is important to take time to recognize Fair Housing Month in order to promote awareness about fair housing laws.
Locally, ACAR has encouraged many of the mayors in Cuyahoga and Summit Counties to proclaim April 2014 as Fair Housing Month. Thank you to Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald, Parma Heights Mayor Mike Byrne, and Beachwood Mayor Merle Gorden for their support.
In addition to offering Fair Housing classes for our members, we also encourage our Realtor® members to re-affirm their pledge to uphold Fair Housing Laws. The declaration of re-affirming his or her pledge to uphold Fair Housing Laws includes the following points:
- Provide equal professional service without regard to the race, color, ancestry, sex, familial status, disability, and military status of any prospective client, customer, or of the residents of any community.
- Keep informed about fair housing law and practices, improving my clients’ and customers’ opportunities and my business.
- Develop advertising that indicates that everyone is welcome and no one is excluded; expanding my client’s and customer’s opportunities to see, buy, or lease property.
- Inform my clients and customers about their rights and responsibilities under the fair housing laws by providing brochures and other information.
- Document my efforts to provide professional service, which will assist me in becoming a more responsive and successful Realtor®.
- Refuse to tolerate non-compliance.
- Learn about those who are different from me, and celebrate those differences.
- Take a positive approach to fair housing practices and aspire to follow the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
- Develop and implement fair housing practices for my firm to carry out the spirit of this declaration.
Through the years, the National Association of Realtors® has also developed education on diversity and fair housing laws for its Realtor® members. Those programs and resources have helped educate Realtors® across the country on the importance of inclusive housing practices and the promotion of diverse homeownership.
ACAR offers fair housing education, programs and resources for its members because Realtors® believe homeownership is an investment in everyone’s future. This month, Realtors® reconfirm our pledge to protect home buyers and sellers, and diverse and thriving American communities.
For more information or to find a REALTOR®, visit the ACAR website, www.AkronClevelandRealtors.com, or call our Akron office at (330) 434-6677 or our Independence office at (216) 901-0130.