2016 General Election Round-Up: Big Wins for REALTOR Party!
In a year when the election cycle had everyone’s attention, the Akron Cleveland Association of REALTORS® had its eye on several down-ticket races.
The Realtor® Party supports candidates whose beliefs and actions align with issues important to the real estate industry. ACAR’s RPAC trustees met with and interviewed candidates in Cuyahoga and Summit Counties to determine whether or not they (the candidates) are REALTOR Party champions worthy of RPAC support. You can see the full list of who received RPAC support from ACAR here.
Many REALTOR Party champions were successful in the 2016 General Election. Successful candidates and issues receiving support from the Realtors® PAC are listed below. The REALTOR Association does not take a position on the race for President of the United States. To learn about REALTOR Party wins across the United States, REALTOR Magazine has more here.
Multiple issues were on the General Election ballot in Fairlawn. Two of those issues dealt directly with private property rights and rental policies. One issue would require mandatory rental inspections annually (similar legislation has been found unconstitutional in southern Ohio), and the other required licensing for landlords. The proposed laws included potential Fair Housing violations, due process violations, and 4th Amendment violations. Fairlawn already has policies in place that work and ensure all properties in the city are maintained. As an organization, the Akron Cleveland Association of REALTORS® opposed these proposed issues, which were first introduced as ordinances back in 2014. Since that time, we have worked with the Mayor and Council to ensure that private property rights are protected, while neighborhoods are maintained.
- Issue 13 – Defeated
- Issue 14 – Defeated
- Rob Portman
- OH-09 – Marcy Kaptur
- OH-11 – Marcia Fudge
- OH-13 – Tim Ryan
- OH-14 – Dave Joyce
- OH-16 – Jim Renacci
- District 24 – Matt Dolan
- District 28 – Vernon Sykes
- Ohio House, District 6 – Marlene Anielski
- Ohio House, District 7 – Tom Patton
- Ohio House, District 8 – Kent Smith
- Ohio House, District 10 – Bill Patmon
- Ohio House, District 11 – Stephanie Howse
- Ohio House, District 13 – Nickie Antonio
- Ohio House, District 14 – Marty Sweeney
- Ohio House, District 15 – Nick Celebrezze
- Ohio House, District 16 – Dave Greenspan
- Ohio House, District 34 – Emilia Sykes
- Ohio House, District 35 – Greta Johnson
- Ohio House, District 36 – Anthony DeVitis
- Ohio House, District 37 – Kristina Roegner
- Ohio House, District 38 – Marilyn Slaby
- Cuyahoga Co. Council, District 2 – Dale Miller
- Cuyahoga Co. Council, District 4 – Scott Tuma
- Cuyahoga Co. Council, District 6 – Jack Schron
- Cuyahoga Co. Council, District 8 – Pernel Jones, Jr.
- Cuyahoga Co. Council, District 10 – Anthony Hairston
- Summit Co. Executive – Ilene Shapiro
- Summit Co. Council, At – Large – Elizabeth Walters
- Summit Co. Council, At – Large – Clair Dickinson
- Summit Co. Council, District 2 – John Schmidt
- Summit Co. Council, District 3 – Gloria Rodgers
- Summit Co. Council, District 4 – Jeff Wilhite
- Summit Co. Council, District 5 – David Hamilton
- Summit Co. Council, District 6 – Jerry Feeman –REALTOR®
- Summit Co. Council, District 7 – Tim Crawford
- Summit Co. Council, District 8 – Paula Prentice